Military Adventure Training
Military adventure training has been a core offering to our service personnel for many decades.
Back in 1974, WT Founder/President Joe Kowalski had a life changing decision to make. Joe was in the last year of a 4 year military obligation and was just promoted to Captain. Joe had always planned to start Wilderness Tours after his army duty. The promotion and a promising military career stopped Joe in his tracks. After much internal debate Joe decided on Wilderness Tours and opened for business in 1975.
The early years were a struggle but eventually WT became Canada’s top whitewater rafting and kayaking company. And, as it turned out, military units from all over Canada and the UK come to WT to train. WT offers training packages from 1 day to several weeks. WT is also a perfect venue for Cadets.
What sets Wilderness Tours (WT) apart for Military Training?
- Only WT can provide over 5,000 acres of training area and offers that area to units at no cost even if the units are not utilizing WT services.
- Only WT can provide emergency access at every location on the river
- Only WT offers in-house Swift Water Rescue Training and is the exclusive provider of Rescue Canada certification on the Ottawa River.
- Only WT offers training in climbing, rappelling, mountain biking, sea kayaking, whitewater kayaking, wilderness canoe outfitting, winter training and map & compass.
- Only WT offers raft guiding training to the military through its exclusive Guide Your Own Raft program.
- Only WT is the exclusive provider to Algonquin College of their prestigious 2-year diploma program in Outdoor Adventure.
Wilderness Tours provides adventure training in the following skills:
- whitewater kayaking
- canoe tripping
- Swift Water Rescue
- First Aid/CPR
- sea kayaking
- map and compass
- x-c skiing
- ice rescue and winter survival.